President Bush today nominated/renominated John Roberts for the Supreme Court. Yeah, I know he already nominated Roberts for the Court, but with the death of Rehnquist, Bush decided that Roberts should be the Chief Justice. The reason this is a dumb move is because it will reopen the whole confirmation arguments. Roberts was pretty much a shoein to be confirmed by the Senate. The Democrats and lefties were not ecstatic about Roberts, but the opposition was minimal. Their argument will now be, "Well, he was okay as an associate justice, but we're having second thoughts about him as the Chief." The argument is not specious, and it will still be made.
I think Bush should have just named Scalia. Whatever happened to loyalty and reward for service? I agree with the argument that the Dems will make regarding Roberts. He does not have the judicial experience to be Chief Justice. I have no problem with him being on the Court, but not in the head role. Now Bush will have to make two arguments for Roberts. One that he is qualified for the bench, and two that he is qualified to be the head of the bench. It will be harder to do that.
No comments:
Post a Comment