Monday, June 04, 2012

Why Vote?


After petitioners gathered far more signatures than needed, Wisconsin is on the verge of a recall election for governor, lieutenant governor, and four state senate seats.  The incumbents facing these recall elections are all Republicans.  I am voting on June 5. 

One mantra of the current GOP leadership is that people are responsible for their own success, that it is not guaranteed.  Yet, when individuals band together to try to achieve that success together in unions, the GOP basically says that it is wrong.   This is what we can view as true irony.  Yes, I am voting on June 5.

As a nation we cannot forget that labor and management have always argued about wages, working conditions and benefits.  We need only to look at history to see that the struggle for better wages, benefits, and working conditions has not been easy.  We also cannot deny that workers, both public and private have seen the fruits of their labor diminish.  Wages have been cut, benefits reduced, and pensions raided all while the CEOs of businesses have seen their income and golden parachutes increase exponentially.  Yes, I am voting on June 5.

The actions by the legislature and governor have indeed divided the citizens of the state.  Relatives and friends are pitted against each other for the sole purpose of the ideology of those making the laws.  I am reminded of part of a George Carlin routine:


I am certainly voting on June 5.

I used to hunt.  I don't any more mainly because I lost my hunting partner when my father-in-law passed away.  He used to get great enjoyment out of teaching the city slicker how to shoot and hunt.  A deer license is inexpensive, but if the new Deer Czar has his way, the fees to hunt on public lands will be far too exorbitant for me to even consider taking up the great sport again.  I am not hunting, but I am voting on June 5

I believe in the right to vote for all citizens of legal age and residence.  I'd like to see them try to stop voter fraud, but voter ID will not stop that and is in fact a ploy by some to hinder voting by some groups.  Further there is no documented proof of rampant fraud anywhere in the country let alone Wisconsin except in the mind of demagogic talk show hosts. 

I believe in the sanctity of human life and not the duplicitous idea of a death penalty.  I believe in equal pay for equal work and that it should be easier to bring suit against employers who don't pay women the same pay as men for the same work.

I believe in the power of many workers and their ability to raise wages to a decent level with decent benefits and secure pensions.  I believe that the past year has proven that some would rather take away all worker rights and will attempt to do so for all workers, public and private.  I am most definitely voting on June 5.


I don't know what the outcome of the recall election will be.  But damn right I am voting on June 5.


No comments: