In that five years, she has asked my to say something, and this year is no different. It has become something for me to do to contribute besides trying to raise funds.
This is this year's talk.
I am here because of Brenton who drove his car at 80 mph
into a dumpster filled with roofing material. He was 17. One
of the notes he left behind was to his best friend, my son. My son still sees the sunrise every
October on the anniversary of his death.
I am here because of Michael, who stepped in front of a
moving freight train. He left a
note on the kitchen table that my own brother found. All it said was “I’m sorry. He was 23. My
brother still misses his son. My
children miss their cousin. I still
miss my nephew.
I am here because of Kaia, who after school one evening hung herself in her bedroom. She was fifteen and always sat in the front row of my writing class. Though I am retired from teaching now, I still wonder if there was something I missed, something I should have seen.
I am here because of Kaia, who after school one evening hung herself in her bedroom. She was fifteen and always sat in the front row of my writing class. Though I am retired from teaching now, I still wonder if there was something I missed, something I should have seen.
I am here because of my daughter, Jessica. Five years ago she started this
community walk in Milwaukee. Some
of you have been in every one of the walks, some of you are here for the first time. We are all here for the same
reason, the same sense of loss and grief.
Whether you are here by yourself or part of a team, you are not here alone. Whether you raised 10 dollars or a 1000 dollars, you are not here alone. We. We are not here alone.
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote to the grammy winning singer Judy Collins. She lost her son to suicide. She wrote back, my heart is with you in these efforts-- I send my spirit to you all, my loss has made me aware and supportive of bringing understanding and healing to those who suffer the urges and the losses.
Whether you are here by yourself or part of a team, you are not here alone. Whether you raised 10 dollars or a 1000 dollars, you are not here alone. We. We are not here alone.
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote to the grammy winning singer Judy Collins. She lost her son to suicide. She wrote back, my heart is with you in these efforts-- I send my spirit to you all, my loss has made me aware and supportive of bringing understanding and healing to those who suffer the urges and the losses.
NO! We are not here alone.
In August of this
year, President Obama signed an executive order directing
the Veterans Administration to hire 1,600 new mental health professionals and
800 new peer support counselors, along with expanding the capacity of its
crisis line to ensure that veterans in need can meet with a counselor within 24
hours.
And Camp Pendleton because of such
efforts was the first army base to report a significant decrease in suicides
and suicide attempt this year.
More schools are starting prevention
programs. Cities have more
hotlines. The funds we raise
to day help doing more of those things.
No. We are not alone in this struggle. Our grandparents, spouses, relatives and friends are with
us. Our veterans are with us. We have all lost someone, but we are
definitely not alone in this.
Let me finish with a verse from
another singer, Kitty Donaho.
There are no words
There are no words
There is no song
There is no balm that can heal these
wounds that will last a life time long
But when the stars turn into dust
Hand is hand we still will stand
because we must.
You are not alone. We are not alone. We can and will do this, together.
Thanks to many friends and relatives, I was able to reach my original goal of $250, and in fact almost doubled it. The goodness of people never ceases to amazes me in life.
If you wish to contribute to this year's fundraising for AFSP, you can still do so through the end of the year. It is tax deductible.
You might also want to check out other community walks around the country that will take place through the remainder of the year. Several events are already schedule for next year, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment