Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Good music at a decent price

Last year Summerfest had only two performers I would consider going to see, Buddy Guy and Trampled by Turtles.

This year they offer the usual mixture of old, and frankly over the hill rockers, along with blues, hop-hop, jazz, country, and the new acoustic version of folk known as Americana.

And this year they have more artists that I would consider spending ticket money on to go deal with a large crowd many members of which are drinking more than they should.

This is not to say that the the offerings the Summerfest people have put together are bad or that the music sucks. To their credit, they put together an eclectic collection that reaches a wide variety of taste.

I am surprised, though that there are more headliners this year that I would like to see.

If I were to wade through the crowds and drunks and rowdies, this is who I would go see:

June 25
Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue

June 27
Taj Mahal Trio

June 28
John Hiatt and the Combo

June 29
Outkast with special guest Gary Clark Jr.

July 2
Bonnie Raitt with special guest James Hunter Six

July 6
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Melissa Etheridge

Of these, the only performer at the Marcus Ampitheater that I would like to see is Outkast with Gary Clark Jr. I would prefer only Gary Clark Jr. to be honest.

I have no doubt the other performers at Summerfest this year are talented and loved by a wide variety of music lovers. These are just my favorites. That all but one of my selections are on the big Ampitheater stage for which there is a separate ticket charge, I believe, shows that good music shouldn't cost an arm an leg for a ticket. Fortunately, Summerfest seems to realize this as well.

No comments: