Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Woody's Rulin's and Mine

The list of Woody Guthrie’s list of his “New Years Rulin’s” appears around the end of the year, almost every year. I like seeing it every time it rolls around.

Some of Woody’s resolutions I can do and some of them I can’t. Some of them I do and some I don’t. I don’t, for example, take baths anymore. I don’t remember the last time I took a bath. Don’t worry. I do take showers.

While on a road trip a few years ago, I stopped shaving. I read recently that the remaining members of the Grateful Dead are the only aging celebrities who have opted for facial hair rather than plastic surgery, a choice I whole-heartedly endorse. A fine weathered face has character.

Besides the personal hygiene items and domestic chores, Woody’s list makes sense. Of course I should love everybody. Of course I should work more and better. Woody’s list is full of good ideas.

I don’t normally make resolutions. I’m 71 plus years old. I’m in decent health. I don’t smoke anymore. I don’t drink a lot, seldom drunk. I got this far and plan on going on for a few more years. That said, in the spirit of Woody, I suppose I could make a few.

1. Read more
2. Write more
3. Be a good person
4. Be a good husband
5. Be a good father
6. Be a good friend
7. Practice more

That's about it. Yes, I want to do more, accomplish more, go places, see things, meet new people. More than anything I want to go on being with and loving the people in my life.

No comments: