Thursday, September 15, 2011

Revision of open letter

I emailed the last post to my local paper, the Racine Journal Times. The editor emailed me back and said they do not publish third party letters. So I revised it as follows:

On the tenth anniversary of 9/11, the NY Mets wanted to wear baseball caps honoring the firefighters and police who lost their lives on that day. It was a home game for the Mets and a one-time request.

The actions of Bud Selig as baseball commissioner in handling the situation was at best disappointing and at worst disturbing. According to a player rep, Selig or his office went so far as to threaten fines if the Mets did not comply. Instead the Mets were told to wear the official MLB cap that included the team logo and an American flag. Maybe it is only a coincidence that MLB was also selling the caps for $39.95.

As a baseball fan, I simply do not understand the reasoning behind this ruling.

What is most disturbing, however, is Selig’s reaction to the news of this getting out. He reportedly called the Mets and expressed that he was upset that they leaked the story to the media.

Selig was more upset that the public found out about his actions rather than simply doing the right thing in the first place. I don’t believe that he would be so callous as not to honor the memory of those brave first responders, but it seems clear that he is more concerned about his own image that with baseball’s image.

No comments: