Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Some words, maybe in search of melody or meaning

 These days it’s easy to be worrying

But I ain’t gonna let it be burying me

These days


And I know it may sound a little sappy

But I never thought i could be so happy as

These days


-----


The first October snow is stinging on the face

But there is no trace

On the ground. Too warm to stick around


But the grey skies of November and beyond 

Are coming and none are fond

Of the darker days and colder nights


-----


When the first snow covers the nests 

Of spring left as their builders have gone to rest

In warmer climes and better times, 

I go, too, in my aging mind to think

To think of words to say

And rambling rambling on another day.


She is in the living room giving lessons

To the young and eager to share in her joy

And praise and hope for better days 

As I am alone here listening still 

Searching for ways and will to do more

And learn myself.


She makes me better and for that I am grateful

Happy to say she is the woman on my dreams

Whenever someone asks how I am

In this married life in these pandemic dreams.


I remember lost family and friends 

But do not wallow in sorrow

It does no good

They would tell me, if they could


John Prine says in one of his last songs about going to heaven that he would meet up with his mom’s sisters cuz that’s where all the love is. He’s right. I remember my own mom and her  sisters, Elizabeth and Violet. My mom was Pearl. The story goes that Grandpa Frank wanted his daughters to be named after a queen, and flower and a jewel. Yep. Prine was right. The love started with those three women. Might be a Midwest Illinois thing, but I suspect a lot of families and the women in them are the same around the world. I could see it on Cathie’s sisters a little bit. I can see it in Susan’s daughters. One of them is having a baby soon, and I hope that kid will see it in his or her aunts, too.


-----


I am hopeful about the election, but nervous. I already voted. I am hopeful that the Democrats keep the House, and take the Senate and White House, but nervous.


I am honestly worried what will happen if Trump wins again and more worried if the GOP keeps the Senate.


It never used to be this way in the country. Yes, the two parties would disagree, but eventually cold come to some sort of compromise for the good on the country. Now the GOP takes great glee in their ability to ram through a Supreme Court pick and great glee in giving huge tax cuts to the rich and suppressing the vote as much as possible.


People have to keep fighting, keep voting, keep pushing to make things better for all people, all races, all religions. Yes that means making sure the wealth in this country does not continue to rest in the bank accounts of a few privileged white folks. Yeah, that means you Warren Buffet and Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates.


No comments: