Joe Biden has enough Electoral College votes to become the next President, the 46th in the country’s history. Donald Trump has not conceded, and it is doubtful that he will go gently into that good night. I hated using that last phrase as it comes from one of my favorite poets, Dylan Thomas, but I suspect that the Tangerine Wankmaggot will go on Tweet Raging for a while yet.
The coronavirus has not miraculously gone away after the election as some claimed it would. Illinois where I live and Wisconsin where I lived for 40 years have both seen record increases in cases. The entire country has seen over 100000 new cases for the past several days. Deaths have numbered over a 1000 per day for over a week.
Most experts say it’s going to get worse before getting better.
The excuses for continuing to ignore the experts boggles my mind.
One claim in Wisconsin is that you have a greater chance of dying in a car crash than you do of COVID. In Wisconsin the estimate is that about 600 car deaths will occur this year. Nationally about 37000 traffic fatalities occur every year. Statewide, Wisconsin COVID deaths total 2330, almost four times more. Nationally the rate is 6.5 times higher. It hardly seems plausible to compare the two.
Another wild-ass claim is that the survival rate is 99.9%. I have no idea where people are getting that number. Right now the national mortality rate is 2.4%.
Biden is going to have his work cut up for him. He has to convince people that Trump was wrong about the virus. He has to undo a lot of damage that incompetence and lack of leadership caused.
Maybe nobody is going gentle into that good night. The dying of the light is not happening easily.

No comments:
Post a Comment