Saturday, July 21, 2007

My vote counts more

My vote counts more than I think.

I was doing one of those online survey/test things related to politics. I forget the web address, but it was one of those things that are supposed to reveal your "true" political leanings. I've taken several such things and, without much variation, I always come up with some slight leaning to the left, but mostly stick around the middle, which is why I refer to myself as a "centrist libertarian." I'm not sure why, but it makes me evaluate where I stand on things, particularly when election time rolls around. And I look for candidates come close to where I am.

I'm not a sycophant, dutifully adhering to a party line with my vote. I can honestly say that I have never voted a straight party ticket, and can't envision myself ever doing so. I've said here before that I think the key to 2008 is the independent vote. It always is. I think, too, that a strong third party candidate can, depending on how he or she is perceived by independents, swing an election one way or another. Bill Clinton probably won his first term as President because Ross Perot took voters away from the first George Bush. Al Gore, although he garnered more popular votes, lost to the second George Bush in part because of Ralph Nader running for the Green Party. For that, Nader was vilified by most Democrats for running again in 2004.

I truly do want to vote for a Democrat next year, but my vote is not guaranteed. It is precious to me. I'd rather heed the advice of Eugene Debs: "It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it."

***

This and other pieces also appear at the blog site of the Democratic Party. To read any comments that people have made about this brief essay, or to read other pieces please visit there.

No comments: