Wednesday, July 04, 2007

My Vote

This also appears at the blog site of the Democratic Party. To read any comments that people have made about this brief essay please read it there.

I get a kick out of the way some people have accused me of being a GOP plant. The only plants around here are those non-thinking individuals who will blindly follow the leader no matter where he or she will take them.

I suppose it could be said that that is the mark of a good leader, one people will follow blindly without question. Bubba Clinton has his adherents no matter how many flaws he had as a person and a President. They will go to their graves denying that he ever did anything wrong. But, I think one's own moral compass is what should determine one's vote, not the leader or the party.

My moral compass is not either of the major parties. My moral compass is me.

I see strength in my own moral compass every time someone accuses me of being a conservative. I see it when my neighbor accuses me of being a liberal. I see that this is where 2008 will be decided and I am kind of enjoying this sense of power. I can now understand why the GOP wants power and wants to keep it. I can now understand why the Democrats want the same thing.

My power is in my vote and, yes, I have made up my mind already for whom I will not support nor vote �" ever. I have stated numerous times that I cannot find anything in Hillary Clinton to support. I have not seen anything in any of the GOP announced candidates either. And the more I learn about the potential candidates of both parties, I do not like any of them either.

Does that mean that if the Dems put up Hillary I will not vote for her? Yes, it does. So what? It is my vote and I will cast it for the person I want to lead this nation. And I consider almost any of the announced Democratic candidates far more suited than Hillary Clinton to run the show. And, save her, I consider almost any of them infinitely superior to any of the announced GOP candidates.

So if the Dems want Hillary, that will be their choice. Come November, 2008, I will make mine. It won't be her. It won't be the GOP either. I will vote, but I will look at another lever to pull. Now that is real power, and I am really looking forward to exercising it.

No comments: